Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A little light....



I hope this is the start of a nice positive streak....although I have not had my head fully in poker as of late. I have been really tied up with my real job, to the extent that it put a huge damper on my getting out to Las Vegas for the WSOP. Can't tell you how disappointed I am, but until the day I decide to hang it up, I'll continue to have poker as my hobby, and will have to take second banana to other priorities.

I don't have grand illusions of ever being a professional poker player, although if I ever got some huge score, that may change. And my huge, I mean 'set for life' type of score, which of course, is equivalent to a lottery score (read: Cada, Yang, Gold, etc).

It's actually easy to get caught up in the success, that some of the players out there are having. And there is no denying the amount of success some of the guys are having, especially the young online guns. But the reality is that your talking about less than 1-2% of all 'tournament pros', which are making money. Among those, the majority are staked players, and many fall by the wayside year by year. Just think of some of the past 'big names' of WSOP/WPT winners you've never heard of again.

Your big name players that remain in the spotlight, all have sponsorships or have ownership in the online sites. Short of that, the names you still see out there are more than likely 'staked' players. And those in the latter category have some big names....as in people who are always introduced as 'having made millions', and yet are broke.

So that was a pretty nice tangent, but really playing poker as a hobby, and hitting the occasional score is still pretty cool.

2BA

2 comments:

BamBam said...

I think mobneys when you're NOT a pro, may just be the best kind of all.

If you ever do go pro however, you'll need a good manager.

Pssssst.... you know a guy!

;)

Tyson Holt said...

This is a ggreat post thanks