Sunday, December 6, 2009

MTT's

I get alot more emails to the gmail account I have posted on my blog than I do in the comments for some reason. But be that as it may, I've had a bunch of you asking me a bunch of things, lately many about my latest streak of FT's in MTT's. Although I haven't won, it certainly has been a very nice streak to make it deep in as many MTT"s as I have lately. But here goes a few responses to your questions in no particular order.

I keep the blog as a journal for myself primarily, and of course for anyone out there who cares to follow along with my poker playing. I shy away from actual poker content and strategies not because I hold some valuable insider secrets, but mostly because what works for me, is what I've learned works for me through playing countless amounts of tournaments, and may not work for you. Nothing takes the place of experience, although discussion of poker hands, strategies, etc is also a good thing, and perhaps at some point, maybe I'll start posting some.

Playing MTT's is really fun for me, and yes, I do mean that, despite the fact the reality is that to be a truly profitable MTT player, is a very difficult thing to do. The real money is in the cash games, if that's what your goal is. I see MTT's more like a chess game. The decision's that one has to make through the course of any MTT are numerous. The best you can try, is to make the right choices, but as we all know, even when you do, things can go very wrong. But that is where the fun really comes from for me, despite the frustrations, which almost makes it sadistic in a way, but it's just the nature of this game.

The navigation through the field is what I enjoy the most, and I don't take the same route each time I play. That's the beauty of the game. It's like asking a golfer, how far he can hit a 7 iron. That has no simple answer, and neither does poker. What's the best approach to play an MTT has numerous answers, and many will be just fine to do. I think that if you play the tight early, and loosen up in the middle style, it has no plus/minus advantage over the guy who does just the opposite, or has some other style. The bottom line is that any style will work, as long as you are a good decision maker. In order to become a good decision maker, that takes alot of time to learn and master. And with that mastery, comes the understanding of the subtleties of the game, that helps you get to the next level. I don't profess to understand them all, I'm continuing to learn and develop myself.

I pretty much stay at the $26 MTT"s because it allows me the freedom of pulling whichever road map style I feel, and giving it a go. I have a more limited road map as the buy-ins go higher, but I don't usually play those unless I satellite in. The Sunday $200 is about as high as I'll go online, and I use to play that one alot more than I do so today.

As for this latest run of FT's that I've had, well that's just probably more of being on the right side of variance than anything else. Although I'm still waiting for the real aspect of variance to kick in, and hopefully that will happen sooner, rather than later.

Thanks for the questions, and sorry I don't respond as timely as I should.

Good luck as always on the virtual felt!

2BA

No comments: