Friday, June 5, 2009

The proverbial 'running bad'

Have not had much to write about lately, the cards for one have been betraying me on a fairly consistent basis.  Of course, there are still some good spots, although obviously when running bad, they don't come up often.

Running bad is an interesting anomaly to say the least.   

I've been going over some tournaments HH's,  that I've played over the last few weeks, and I have had deep runs (top 5% of field), in quite a bit of them.  Now I got the chips, mainly...'running good' I suppose.  Won flips, hit my semi-bluffs, made believeable bluffs, etc.  However, in all of these tournaments, my fall came in the exact same way, every single time.  Namely, I'm getting my money in good, but I'm not getting there, as my old friend Adar like's to say.  So as an MTT player, you can run bad, within the overall confines of running good!  

Nothing earth shattering here, but it bears to remind oneself, that this is the life of the dedicated MTT player.  Peppered in between all of this, on occasion, you'll hit the big hand at the end, and you'll make final tables, and with some luck, take some of the those down.  EVERYONE gets lucky to win a big field MTT.

I use to really bang my head thinking how it is that some of the very successful online MTT players, seem to always run so good.  But the reality is that they don't.  They just put in such a huge volume of play, and given their play is solid to begin with, it's just a numbers game.  They take their share of beats, just like everyone else.  

Ok, so enough with the obvious, I just need to remind myself of it from time to time. 

Moving on to the opposite of running bad, here is an instant, where the deck was hitting me like never before.  Of course, it was in a SNG, I had just busted the bubble boy, so we were in the money, and the guy in 3rd was super short stacked:



I made this call, simply because I was in god mode.  I had basically knocked everyone else out, and when he shoved, given how short the other guy was, I really couldn't resist.  That was bad I know, but seriously, I just couldn't lose.....now why is it that freaking 'god mode' doesn't strike when I'm deep in a big buy-in MTT????  just a matter of time I hope!  

On a side note, have you ever been dealt Aces, but someone at your table was running so good, you just knew you'd lose?  of course you have!  Running good is the shitz!

Here was a fun hand...good ole fashion shootout between the best 3 Holdem starting hands...of course you know what happens:



Have a great weekend everyone, 

2BA

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

"EVERYONE gets lucky to win a big field MTT."

Unless you're getting AA (and action) at least once an orbit, you must get lucky at least once, and (if the field is large enough) often twice. It just happens.