Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rebuys

The Double Guarantee's finished on Sunday on Fulltilt, and I hope that after the suits analyze the data, they up the daily guarantee's, as with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, they exceeded the guarantee prize pool almost every time. Overall from their perspective, it was a huge success.

As a player, it was pretty frustrating as I first off missed the first half of the week while I was out of town on business, and then once I got into the mix, it became apparent that to navigate through the basically double large fields, was going to take some real good luck, and for the damn 'statistical expectations' to hold you on the plus side of variance. Every donkey on the site, and I mean everyone seem to buyin at a chance at the larger payouts.

At any rate, the only deep run I managed was in this 47K rebuy:


On a more positive note, I also final tabled last nights 23.5K Rebuy:



In the end, I pushed K9 from the button in the blinds, and the big stack called me with KT. The big stack was a bottom stack when we arrived at the FT, but went on a run, that we can all hope someday will hit when your late in a tournament. Here's a little example to catch my drift:



The rebuys have been where I am having the most success. There are pro's and con's of course. The pro's leading with the fact that you have less players in the field, you get more play after the rebuy period, where you can actually play some deep stack poker, and the prize pools for the amount of players is usually pretty good, relative to the buyins.

The big Con as far as I'm concerned is the field although small, for the most part attracts some of the best MTT players on FT. So although in the beginning you may see some bad players, in which case you need to really think about how to get their chips, in the end, you won't see many of them, unless they got stupid lucky. The reason you will almost always see primarily a difficult field at the end of the tournament is because of the deep stack play. The good players are very skilled at not stacking off, whereas the donkeys do it with very weak holdings.

So I suppose another pro for me, is that the more I play with better players, in the long run will help me improve my game overall. I've been making some pretty sick folds, that in the past I would never even consider. But against a strong field of players, it's a tool you need in your box.

2BA

3 comments:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I think there is an even more basic thing with these rebuys that is easy to miss but totally significant to strong mtt players: If you just double-rebuy right from the getgo (or really at any time during the first half of rebuy hour at least), you can automatically start yourself in the top third or quarter of the field, by definition. Those of us whose games are tailored well to playing with large stacks early on therefore have a significantly greater chance of running deep in these things as compared to any other regular tournament.

Think of it this way: imagine if I told you that I could guarantee you an early double-up in every single mtt you ever played in online. Can you imagine how much better your ROI would be? That's exactly what you can do by double-rebuying in to every rebuy mtt online.

Fred aka TwoBlackAces said...

Yup, I agree 100%. I'm thinking of altering my schedule to focus primarily on rebuys, with a few exceptions. But the nightly 6:30 and 7:30 CST tournaments will be in a regular routine for me at a minimum.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Those are the two best -- along with the 10:30pm ET $100 1r1a. That's a phat tournament as well -- nice guarantee, smallish field, etc. -- but you have to be ok staying up all night.