Saturday, January 17, 2009

40K recap

Here are a few interesting hands from last night's 40K.  I had managed to chip up, when this crazy hand came up:



Set over Set over Set......I must confess that I felt I was behind after 'the crabs' check raised.  The overshove certainly scream to me that this guy had either a set, and was now trying to protect his hand, or maybe the flush draw, with the former being more likely.  Then of course the call by the 99's, certainly told me I was behind.  I got lucky of course, but I made a bad call here, and forgetting about the results, am dissapointed, as one of the things I'm trying to improve on, is to fold in situations where I know I am beat.  

Well this obviously put me in good shape, and having a big stack, I went into big stack poker mode, open many pots, and pretty much chipped up to 40K+ stack without much risk to my chips.  

Here I layed down QQ preflop:


Luis Velador is a red pro, and as tempting as it was to call, this was an easy lay down.  

As I reviewed the hands, I noticed I was very lucky in my flips.  I pretty much won the majority, and as everyone knows, if your going to go deep, you have to win the flips:



Another thing that helps, is when you catch a hand when an opponent is making a stand.  I had been raising this guys BB mercilessly, and he finally decided to make a stand.  However, two issues worked against him.  First, I had a hand, and second, it was on the bubble:



Here's a hand that I really don't like the way I played it......but it worked out:



I folded for a while going card dead, and limped to the final table as a short stack.  First hand of the final table, I make a move with KJ, and got there against QQ:



That gave me a little breathing room.  Unfortunately, didn't get any cards, and dwindled back down to under 80K, but finally did doubled up in the BB:



I realize that sometimes you have to shove with any two, and I think this is still a problem I have to deal with, as I still don't like doing it with absolute garbage.  I do feel this is an adjustment I have to make.

Something when haywire with my hand histories after this point, as I remember a hand where I made mistake, and flatted with AQ against the Big Stack.  Had to fold that hand, and it cost me a good chunk of my stack.  

At any rate, I do have the bust out hand, as I ran into Jacks:



GG me.

2BA

No comments: