Monday, May 3, 2010

Going deep

Yesterday, I played a bunch of tournaments as I mentioned in my last post. I did both the FTOPS events including the Main Event. Sadly, I didn't do much in either of those, but I did get pretty far into the Freeroll Main event race. However, only the top 3 got seats, so going deep there don't mean much.

I also went very deep in the BBT5 Invitational, in fact was the TOC seat bubble boy:


Not to make any excuses, but I was a bit pre-occupied with the Pokerstars Sunday 500. It's a whopping $500 buy in tournament, and given my recent score, I decided to treat myself to both this tournament, and the SCOOP #1 (2nd and 3rd tier). I took a brutal 1 outer beat for about 40k in the SCOOP $215 when AQ outran my AA. I cashed in the $22 which got a billion players, so I think it was only for about 50 bucks or so.

But in the 500, at one point, I was top 4 with about 100 runners to go, and had my eye set on making a good run at the top prize which was a whopping 97K. Sadly, I busted in 27th for a little over $2200:



My bustout hand was a major mistake on my part, perhaps a little due to being tired, but nevertheless, a mistake. The hand in question was JJ. (Ironically, I layed JJ down in the BBT5 in a 4 bet pot at the final table, which I'm now also questioning.)

Sorry, but today, JJ was not ok.

In the bustout hand, I made it 2.5x from middle position, and the guy to my left reraised small. Of course that should be red flag #1. The flop was 355, and I checked. He made less than a half pot continuation bet, and I tanked. This guy had been rather loose, and I think I put too much weight on that fact. Other than that, and short of any other info on the player, he had played it like he had AA. Having put 30% of my stack in the pot, I did one of the things I'm trying not to do, and ignored my sticky that folding is only a small mistake. I had about 20 bets behind, so I wasn't in dire straights.....nevertheless I shoved, and he insta called with AA, and out in 27th I went.

In the BBT5 (from memory) TexansBaby raised from the button. I had just finished reraising her, and thought this time I'd trap with JJ. Unfortunately, NewinNov shoved his stack (45kish) and then Texansbaby shoved huge, she had me covered, obviously wanting to isolate and play the pot headsup. I really thought I was ahead, but with the TOC seats on the line, I figured between the 2 of them, they had overcards. At the same time, I got involved in another big pot on the Sunday 500, so I had to tank the BBT5 hand. In the end, I mucked the JJ, and TB had Ace rag, and I forget what New had, but TB binked an ace on the river and took a huge pot, and eliminated New.

Oh well, disappointed yes, but overall I had a very successful weekend, so I'm not going to complain.

Congrats to both to TB and Rambler for winning their TOC seats.

Tonight is the next BBT5 tournament on Fulltilt. Click the BBT5 badge on the right for details.

2BA

No comments: