Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bluffology

Of course bluffing is a must in any successful poker player's arsenal. I think without a doubt and most will agree, that pulling off a bluff, is about as good as it gets in poker. It truly is an art. Equally trying to 'sniff' out a bluff is another skill, which against player's who don't understand how to execute a bluff, is easy, but against very good players takes alot more understanding of the situation. What I mean is that like any hand, their is a logical flow. If at any point the logic is broken, then you have a situation where it's fairly easy to pinpoint the bluffer. However, against a good player, the logic will be perfectly played out, hence making it very difficult to read. There are players who know how to 'float' the board expertly, and can execute this move over and over with just about 100 percent success. Personally, it's something I need to keep working on, but at least I think my understanding is improving. Here's a fairly simple bluff from a sat I played last night. I had a good read on this guy, and when he led, I was sure he hit the T. When I called his Flop bet, I was also trying to build the logic in his mind. Making him put me on the flush draw was the intent. So when the river hit's the flush (and over card), and he makes a fairly weak 'desperation value bet', he's just begging to have me take this pot away, which I gladly did.

Simple Bluff

I am still learning the art of Bluffology, but I bet an entire book can be written on this subject alone.

2BA

No comments: