Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Home game tourny Part 1

So a good friend of mine from work, invited me and Mrs 2BA to a NLHE home game over the weekend. Sounded like fun and a change of pace from online play, so we went over for the festivities. I was expecting maybe 8 or 9 players, and to be playing some low stakes cash game. I was surprised to see as we pulled up to their block, a whole bunch of parked cars. When we got inside, there was about 4o+ folks!

One of the guys had a tournament director program on his laptop, and quickly found out from him, we were playing a $20 buyin tournament, with multiple rebuys during the first 3 levels. Definitely not what I expected, but pleasantly surprised.

The structure could have been better, we started with 25 chips (1 dollar), blinds at 1 and 2, and 20 min levels. This would become an issue as the tournament blinds increased with only $1 denomination chips. There were 23 runners and 3 tables at the start.

I guess the single biggest surprised of the entire tournament was how good the players really were! (I later found out that this group holds this tournament monthly, and they've been doing it for some time). I mean, first of all, everyone understood the rules, down to handling the cuts and deals (double deck no less to promote quicker play). Maybe it's just me, since I don't play in home games, but I thought it was cool, since I tend to get a little impatient when around folks who are let's say less experienced.

My first table featured 3 ladies, one who was about as tight a player as I've ever played against. Let's just say she folded (other than her BB if it was limped) easily for the first 4 orbits. I jokingly asked her if she planned to play a hand, and I was given a 'death' look you had to see! LOL Be that as it may, she ultimately played went down in flames with pocket rockets against my flopped 2 pair, and didn't even rebuy. The gentleman to her left was another tight player, who made it a point to state he was proud he never has to rebuy! I was able to push him off a few hands by 3 betting him, and he was definitely annoyed at me. Then on the 3rd time I 3 bet him, he pushed his remaining chips with AK of hearts, and I was priced in with 89 of diamonds, and a 9 on the river sent him packing. I definitely didn't feel the love as he left (unlit cigar ala Sammy Farha and all) mumbling something about what a bad call I had made!

There was a young (definitely an internet player) also at my table, and I busted him twice. Once with pocket jacks to his tens, and as this hand was playing out, here comes Mrs 2BA waving a $20 bill for a rebuy! Then a few minutes later, she of all people gets moved to my table! Of course, I knew all those chips she just rebought were going to come home to papa, since I know Mrs 2BA's game very well. It goes something like this: plays ATC, position doesn't matter, and is an expert at hitting 3 of kind with whatever rags she has! I kid you not, I can't tell you how many times she's busted me when we play at home with her signature 6 high cards, in a raised pot, and me holding rockets or cowboys! But I am digressing here, so back to the tourney at hand.

Mrs 2BA last exactly one hand at our table. First hand out of the gate, she's limped in a 3 way pot, and leads out when the flop comes K75. I fold realizing she hit a piece of that flop, and the woman to my left, who was a very good player, smooth called her. I knew right there she had a K, and knowing Mrs 2BA I knew that no matter what came on the turn she was moving in. Sure enough, the turn comes a duck, Mrs 2BA moves in as I expected. Now the woman to my left knows nothing about Mrs 2BA's game obviously, and goes into the tank! Which I of course found amusing. I figured she had the K, but a bad kicker and was now concerned she was going to be outkicked. She finally does call, and tables her K6, Mrs 2BA tables A7, and doesn't manage to suckout on the river, and SGHN. So as she walks away for a drink at the kitchen food ct, the lady whisper's to me that she indeed was concern about the kicker. I of course encouraged her for her excellent play, and said something like "I was surprised she actually had a pair" or something like that, which unfortunately for me, Mrs. 2BA caught wind of as she was walking by, earning me 'a look' that only married guys would understand! I thought I was in the dog house for sure! Thankfully, Mrs 2BA does not hold any grudges against her hubby, and it was all forgotten by the time we drove home. Of course, now that she will probably read this, I may be back in the doghouse!!! LoL......I love you honey! Grande beso para ti!

Table 2 and the final table in Part 2, as I've run out of time.

2BA

1 comment:

corron10 said...

Home games are great.

Weird structure though.

my fiance gives me the "look" too, when we play together.