Tuesday, January 15, 2008

MATH win #2

I won Hoy's Math blogger tournament tonight. Sure put a nice cherry on the evening.



I'm sorry I can't give all the details, since I was 5 tabling pretty much until we got to the final table. I've been racking points up to get my FullTilt year end bonus money, and SNG's have been my conduit. I am over half way there, so I think I'll make it easily.

I do recall when we were down to 4 handed, I won a flip against VinNay, I think AQ vs a PP where I hit the Q on the board, as we got it all in preflop. Got to get lucky at some point to win a tournament, and tonight was no exception.

I finally got heads up with Surflexus, a very worthy opponent, and as I recall we were fairly even in chips.

Then this hand came up, which was the penultimate of the tournament, and I had taken a 10k lead.

Heads up is a game I'm very familiar with. I'm not saying I'm the best, but I've played quite a bit of it, and feel like I've seen plenty of scenarios. In heads up play, the key is to play position, and play it aggressively. Also, hitting any pair is like hitting a set in a full ring game. Most of the time, high cards will win you the pot outright. You also have to trust your read, and go with it. Of course many things factor into the read. Knowing your opponent is probably the most important of all.

In this particular hand, Surf called my preflop raise, , but it wasn't a big raise, so any reasonable hand is going to call. Frankly, I probably should have been raising a bit higher heads up, but, I elected for the smaller raise. Now on the K high flop it goes check check. I've seen Surf make some tricky plays in the past, (like the time he busted me with T8 at the final table of one of the BBT2 events...har har....not that I hold any grudges or anything like that), but heads up play in my opinion is fairly straight forward. I think he's betting out most of the time with a flush draw or a pair. So when the 8 hit me on the turn, I felt I was ahead. He fired out a feeler 4k (into a 6k pot) bet, so I elected to smooth call, and see a river. I figured him for some A-rag kinda hand, and figured he had 6 outs. So when the River comes another King, I think I'm definitely ahead, and he fires out 10k. No need to reraise obviously, so I called and took down a big pot.

The very next hand, we get it all in, and I have him dominated, and he doesn't improve, and I win my second MATH tournament.



2BA

2 comments:

surflexus said...

Very well played, gg

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

That was indeed a sickass call with the pair of 8s near the end there. Major balls poker right there.

Fun watching you dismantle the competition in the Hoy recently. Keep up the good work and maybe I'll run into you in some more of those $55 turbo sngs one day soon.