Monday, February 11, 2008

FTOPS Results

In FTOPS #8, I finished in the money......but that's not my goal. I just go no cards to speak of, and when I got down to about 10 BB's, I was looking for any decent cards to try and double up. Unfortunately, I kept getting dealt 3 high, 4 high, 6 high....etc.



The popularity of this series is pretty amazing. For #8, they got 6000 runners! So they are not getting any easier, and he or she that wins really has to play great poker, and not get unlucky.

For FTOPS #9, they also got something like 5500 runners....all ponying up 3 bills, making 1st place just shy of 300k! I once again got in via satellite, this time however making it on the 3rd try, so it cost be about $114 to buy in. Not bad still, and I was glad I did, since I didn't really want to do a direct buy in.

As for the tournament, I had the famous DUCKU at my opening table. For those that don't know, he holds the distinguished honor of being the only player to win FullTilt's Sunday tournament's on back to back week's last year. Pretty freaking amazing feat. If you like to see how a high caliber player like him gets chips early on, check this out.

I somehow managed to tread water all the way to the bubble. Seriously, I got no cards! Not a flipping group #1 hand. The best I saw were small pocket pairs, and mid suited connected cards. When we finally arrived close to the bubble, I had about 5k chips, and I finally got dealt AK Sooted. BUT, the action sucked!!! and we were within 10 from the bubble. I make it point never to look at the payouts, since I don't want even bottom money to influence my decisions, especially close to the bubble. 9 out of 10 times I make this call. BUT, the tightest player at the table, other than myself, raised from middle position about 30% of her stack. The guy in the CO, who had me covered by a few chips called. So I mucked. That player had shown only top hands, and on the bubble, I just didn't think that player would come into the pot with nothing less than QQ, and probably had KK or AA. As it turned out, she had KK, and I would have busted. I am still however second guessing myself this morning.

Nevertheless, the bubble broke, and shortly there after I got it all in on a 3 way pot with the mighty 43 offsuit. Incredibly I hit a straight on the river, and all of a sudden was back up to 20k.

From this point on I was able to chip up to 36k, with about 300 players left. Then this hand.

AA vs KK


Woulda had almost 80k had I won that hand. Oh well....After the cooler, I didn't even have enough to post the BB. I walked away in disgust. I went to kitchen, got some wine, and came back and to my surprise, I had survived the blinds! Pretty unreal. So I played some more, actually got my chips back up to about 20k, but then finally busted.

Bust hand




2BA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Sunday run!

Riggstad said...

indeed a nice run...

I wouldn't second guess yourself though on the AK hand...

Playing online its almost an auto ahove there with your stack and two in the pot. However, you made your read and you were right.

Never second guess a correct read. You gotta use them when you can online, because they don't come as easily as they do live or often as they do live..

Well done