Thursday, February 28, 2008

Blind vs Blind

When the action folds around where it becomes SB vs BB, it presents some very interesting situations, both in tournaments and cash. Not being but a once or twice a year live player, I wasn't even aware for example, that at some card houses, if this situation occurs in cash games, the player's will just 'chop'. I'm still not exactly sure of the logic, or why it's even a chop, since the SB still has to pay the $1 rake. At least that's the policy at the Commerce in L.A.

So this situation presented itself when I was there a few week's back. Interestingly, it was the other player's seated who brought the so call 'chop' to my attention. I didn't know, and wanted to play the hand. The guy in the BB hasn't said a peep either, and frankly with the table talk going, that didn't really register with me. Well after some time, we played the hand. I completed, and the BB checked. I would have raised, but with all the commotion, I decided to limp with a suited ace. So I then proceed to flop the joint, and I lead out for the pot. BB smooth calls. Turn comes a blank as far as I was concerned, and I potted again. BB smooth calls again. I think I only had about $200 total, and the BB had me covered. So at this point there's about $100 in the pot, and I got $150 behind. The river comes another blank, and I value bet for another $60, and now the BB puts me all in. It's a great feeling to know you have the nuts, and have someone make a move like that. At any rate, easy call, I dragged a nice pot, and the BB flung his cards at the dealer exposing pocket Kings, and the entire table broke out in laughter.

I had forgotten about this hand, esp since I don't do notes. However, I had this hand last night come up in a cash game, and it triggered the memory.

Full Tilt Poker Game #5426367969: Table Laurel Ridge - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:42:06 ET - 2008/02/27
Seat 1: Baltika3 ($198)
Seat 2: Erncash ($159.30)
Seat 3: abzolute ($72)
Seat 4: woodygotthenuts ($104.35)
Seat 5: twoblackaces ($198)
Seat 6: themightyjim ($198)
Seat 7: fopeyducker ($82.55)
Seat 8: ZManChoo ($195)
Seat 9: wwonka69 ($197) is sitting out
twoblackaces posts the small blind of $1
themightyjim posts the big blind of $2
5 seconds left to act
abzolute is sitting out
Time has expired
The button is in seat #4

Holecards :
Dealt to twoblackaces [ ]
abzolute has returned
fopeyducker folds
ZManChoo folds
Baltika3 folds
Erncash folds
woodygotthenuts folds
twoblackaces raises to $6
themightyjim calls $4

Flop :
[ ]
twoblackaces bets $8
themightyjim calls $8

Turn:
[ ] [ ]
twoblackaces bets $28
themightyjim calls $28

River:
[ ] [ ]
twoblackaces bets $84
themightyjim raises to $156, and is all in
twoblackaces calls $72, and is all in

Showdown:
themightyjim shows [ ] three of a kind, Nines
twoblackaces shows [ ] a straight, Five high
twoblackaces wins the pot ($393) with a straight, Five high
themightyjim adds $200

SUMMARY:
Total pot $396 | Rake $3
Board:
[ ]
Seat 1: Baltika3 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Erncash didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: abzolute is sitting out
Seat 4: woodygotthenuts (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: twoblackaces (small blind) showed [ ] and won ($393) with a straight Five high
Seat 6: themightyjim (big blind) showed [


On a final note, I played the Mookie last night, and although the Mookster himself told me that his 'curse' only lasted for that game only, I had another flame out last night, this time against LJ.



2BA

4 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

The commerce rule is weird since the idea of the chop is to not pay the rake. In other words, if it's just two players, you could chop and move on to the next hand, as if the hand never happened. Live, I always chop. But it's gotta be one way or the other. You can't look at your cards and say you want to chop or not chop, obviously. If you're in the BB and someone in the SB chops once but then raises later you could point out that you thought he was always chopping. If he says "not this time" then next time he suggests a chop, I'll say to him "it's either you always chop or you never chop. You didn't chop before so you could fork over that $1 over here buddy."

lj said...

"another" flame out? i don't remember ever taking you out of a tournament, just that awful AQ v. AK that cost me a toc seat. :-(

i got some crap on bdr for being a river rat, but we got all in pre, so it was just another flip as far as i was concerned. i did forget to mention it in my recap, though.

lovely playing w/ you, as always.

Fred aka TwoBlackAces said...

LJ, that was in reference to last week's flame out from the Mookie, in light of the curse put on me. All T in C of course. Always a pleasure playing with you.

Anonymous said...

Good play. I think the hand is better shown like this:

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/view.php/id/2372

You can embed the replay directly in your posts too.